Saturday, November 14, 2009

Oprah Winfrey: Karaoke contest brings Orlando man $50,000


Robertweddle Orlando's Robert Weddle had a fine run in Oprah Winfrey's Karaoke Challenge.

The rock singer finished third in the karaoke contest and collected $50,000. On her show today, Winfrey announced the results after 2.5 million viewers voted.

"I went into it like I felt I had already won," said Weddle, 31. "For me the money is fantastic. Now I can close this chapter. I'm hoping for alternatives. I'm hoping to continue this and that this is just the beginning."

The money is nice, but a job would be nicer for Weddle, who has been unemployed eight months. He was a customer-service rep at a medical-publication company.

"I want to move forward and do something sustainable," Weddle said. "It's up to me. I need to make something happen."

Soul singer Abraham McDonald of Los Angeles won the contest and collected $250,000. Country singer Donnie Denny of Hertford, N.C., was the runner-up and earned $100,000 for his efforts.

Weddle raves over Winfrey. "She's awesome. Magnanimous is a fitting word for her," he said.


No comments:

Post a Comment