Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The best burgers in Orlando

I love me a good burger -- greasy and cheesy, or topped with thick bacon, blue cheese and caramelized onions ... or both.

And I was talking to my friend and former peer, Chowhound Scott Joseph, the other night about the resurgence of the burger at high-end eateries. (More on that in moment.) All this talk accomplished two things: Made me hungry. And made me starting thinking about whose burger I like best.

So, in looking to take a break from all the health-care hubbub, I decided to focus on something decidedly unhealthy -- and put together my list of my Five Favorite Burgers in Orlando.

Now, there's the obvious disclaimer that I'm not food critic (i leave that to folks like Scott and our lovable food expert, Heather McPherson, who's a heckuva cook hereself). Also, there are oodles of burgers in this town I haven't tried ... but want to. I'm just a guy who likes thick burgers and salty fries. So with that disclaimer outta the way, my top five are:Menu-welcome-burger

1. Ravenous Pig (Winter Park)
2. Johnny's Fillin' Station (Orlando)
3. Five guys (multiple location)
4. Hamburger Mary's (church street)
5. Johnny Rockets (chain)

You can see my tastes run the gamut -- tho the higher-end Pig's blue-cheese-and-onion-topped masterpiece tops the list. (Mouth ...watering ... now.)

And Joseph mentioned that other higher-end eateries are following suit, trying to tap into customers who have swapped their steak budgets for hamburger-sized ones. We're talking everywhere from Fleming's to Ruth's Chris. (You can read the full piece on Joseph's blog here.)

Now, I'm quite sure I'm opening a can of chopped meat on this one. So if you want to weigh in on your favorite burger in town, throw it out there ... preferably on the grill.

posted by ScottMaxwell on Aug 19, 2009 2:22:34 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment